O poetry, how long you’ve strayed
From the thoughts my heart has made!
How could my searching mind forget
The joy you brought—the ground you set
Beneath my feet
Beneath my bones
Where songs and melodies and tones
Float through my soul like gramophones
Growing louder with each beat?
Dancing, dancing, violins.
My heart is warm and beating fast
For clanking pulleys ‘pon the masts
Of boats that float on oceans deep,
Dark and moving—far from sleep,
And gentle bays where sparkling sun
Makes white and silver waters run
Through riverbeds of spirit mine
While liquid warmth flows down my spine.
And I am happier than a tree
Which planted ‘side the waters thrives,
From which the hymns of heaven rise
Up past the airiest of skies
From my earthen heart to Thine.
And here I sit upon my couch
While time doth taunt me like a mouse
Who scurries far from traps I set
In hopes of winning minutes back.
But I have conquered it by grace!
There is no need for me to race
The clock which flashes me its face
At eleven-twenty in the night.
My soul is 'waked; my heart is light.
And that is all that matters, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment